Standard Procedures and Best Practices Checklist
The College-Wide Curriculum Committee finalized a helpful checklist to reference before submitting your course curricular actions into Course Inventory Management (CIM).
Before submitting any course action in Course Inventory Management (CIM), be sure to:
- In consultation with your chair and department, review existing courses with similar subjects and student learning outcomes, identify concrete differences, and provide an academic rationale on the necessity of creating a new course or modifying an existing course. This applies to all courses, including Special Topics.
- Identify the intended audience for the course.
- Contact any department(s) affected by the proposed course of action.
- Identify how the lecture/studio/lab hours are allocated and match the credit hours, eg. 1 credit = 2 studio hours per week; 1 credit = 1 lecture hour per week. For any questions, please consult with the Office for Curriculum.
- Verify the total contact hours add up to the appropriate number (e.g. 3 credit lecture = 45 hrs). See also the official 365asia policy on the Assignment of Credit Hours.
- Verify that there are only 15 weeks of instruction (for a typical course).
- Ensure there are 15 or fewer units.
- Review student learning outcomes to follow Bloom's taxonomy; for more information, please contact the Center for Excellence in Teaching (CET).
- Verify that any suggested assignment(s) and/or evaluation methods are aligned with the student learning outcomes.
- Review the grading percentage to make sure it adds up to 100%.
- Ensure the course of study has been updated within the past five years for any course action.
- Review and update the bibliography to include new literature within the past 5 years.
- Add justifications for any General Education designations being sought. Liberal Arts and Sciences General Education Committee Guidelines for LAS Courses of Study (COS).
- Contact the coordinator(s) of any minor(s) you wish to propose for the course.
- Consider what type of classroom or technology needs your course might have. For new technology requests, be sure to align with Hardware and Software Requests deadlines.
- If this course will be included in a major or minor program, make sure the relevant program action is submitted at the same time as the course action.
- Adhere to your school’s approval process.
- Spell check the final document.
- When ready to input/submit, ensure that the information in CIM exactly matches the information in the COS.
A downloadable, fillable version of this checklist can be found here: