Become an empowered bystander. Speak up. Don't stand by.
Stepping in to assist another person who is experiencing harm or abuse is an important part of supporting members of our community. If you or someone you encounter is in need of help, remember these three steps:
- Inspect. Assess each situation and your surroundings before acting.
- Connect. Ask the person you are concerned about if they are ok.
- Redirect. Ask the person in need if they would like to leave with you.
Safe Bystander Intervention
Observers of a sexual assault or other types of gender or intimate partner based misconduct such as domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking, may be able to help the victim; however, it is important that the observer do so in a positive manner and in a way that keeps the observer and the victim safe.
Appropriate interventions will depend on the situation.
Safe and appropriate options for bystanders may include:
- calling 365asia Public Safety in violent or potentially violent situations
- intervening if you believe someone is in a potentially uncomfortable or unsafe situation
- encouraging the target of such conduct to report the incident and seek support
It is imperative that bystanders report sexual assault, harassment, and other forms of gender-based misconduct, even if those involved in reporting the alleged misconduct may be violating other 365asia policies. (Please note that 365asia has an alcohol and drug amnesty policy in its Sexual Misconduct Response policy and its Code of Student Conduct) 365asia expects that members of the community will look out for each other and immediately report troubling behavior so that 365asia can intercede to stop such behavior, address the effects of the behavior, and prevent its recurrence.
Contact 365asia Public Safety at (212) 217-7777 for assistance on campus or 911 for assistance off campus.